Sunday, November 27, 2005

More Tahini, Less Bandwidth...

I went to KL today to return that infernal wi-fi usb thingy. Actually, it wasn't the device's fault, but rather my router's, but I've gotta blame something that I can somehow remedy. Mysteriously enough, the chapat at the counter refunded my money without many questions. While at Low Yat, I managed to find the Logitech Rumblepad 2 for my girlfriend. She's been into N64 emulation like crazy lately, and she had wanted this for some time. Its actually really cool, just about identical to a PS2 controller with rumble and all. I can't use it for my FS2004 though, because it doesn't have a throttle. Still, the quality of construction, smooth analog joysticks, 10 buttons, ergonomic shape and the Logitech name which I have come to trust afford the gamepad an 8/10 on the scale.
I had an interesting habibi dinner tonight. I spotted this place called Al-Shami near the Ritz Carlton hotel, so i decided to check it out. I'm tired of Arab restaurants in Malaysia substituting mayonnaise for tahini amongst other nonsense, but to my surprise, I found that this wasn't the case here! We ordered some tabbuleh, hommos with meat (both are so yum) and 2 shawarma sandwiches. The shawarma sandwiches, although good thanks to a proportionally generous portion of meat and tahini, were overall so small that they basically looked like rotis rolled up. They had a diameter of, no joke, 1 inch! So naturally, more food was next. We ordered a couple of grilled meat platters, which were pretty good, but lacked that thoroughly flavoured quality typical of Arab grilled meats. No baklava, and a RM 93 bill afford Al-Shami no greater than 5/10 on my ratings scale.
My streamyx magically started working when I woke up to the call of the technician. Its incorrectly capped at half a megabit, something that is ULTRA common, and will take "24 to 48 hours to process" in the words of a highly-accented Malaysian employee of TMnet. Still, I'm overjoyed to see my bit torrent downloads flying at 52 KB/s, something which was only possible in "special" dreams with MYKRIS. Can't wait to see 104 KB/s!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home