Saturday, November 26, 2005

PC Stuff

I made some computer changes today, by adding an additional 512 MB of RAM and attempting a wi-fi USB thingy connection. The RAM worked out fine, but the wi-fi thing ... holy shit ... it worked fine in the beginning, then started disconnecting me big time! I couldn't transfer anything from my girlfriend's PC without a disconnect! Turns out, it was the damn router. It seems I join thousands of people who also own Netgear routers that disconnect them all the time. I'm gonna go and try to return that (now) useless thingy tomorrow. On the plus side, the RAM now adds up to 1 GB and the difference is SO noticeable.
I now have the following configuration: a Shuttle XPC (you know, one of those "small form factor" PCs) containing a 2.4 GHz P4 running at 2.97 GHz, 1 GB of RAM @ 416 MHz, 200 GB HDD, 16x dual layer Sony DVD-RW, Radeon 9700 Pro "putting out" to a Dell 2405FPW 24" widescreen LCD. Sound is pumped through my THX, 400 watt Logitech Z-somethings.
With this setup, it was only natural that I buy a pirated CD of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, to sit back in my lazy boy and enjoy "media" with. It actually looks better than regular XP thanks a shiny looking interface, but the real deal is the Media Center app. With smooth, animated menu changes and a very cool looking way of accessing media from far away, it totally streamlines the movie-watching and music-listening experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home