Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Mini-Review: Need for Speed - Most Wanted (PSP)


The NFS series has become a pretty big franchise for EA, and I can't really see why. The original NFS was groundbreaking and pure in spirit, because it came from a collaboration with Road and Track. All the cars had very distinct engine sounds and handling physics, something which is not evident today. You could even rip off perfect 0-60 times that match with the actual car. The second coming was highly anticipated, and to most, it was a great dissapointment. It paled in comparison with the original. However, graphics were improved signifcantly. The third NFS enjoyed more success, because it was a better racer with better worlds, but to me it really sucked. Can someone me tell how a BMW M5 (which does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds) is slower than a Boxster (which does 0-60 in nearly 7 seconds)? Or why it sounds like a generic engine, and not like an individual-butterfly controlled, hand made BMW Motorsports V8? NFS 4 was almost the same shit, but the one that followed became my favourite. NFS: Porsche Unleashed was in my opinion, the only NFS that was as good as the original. Perfect sounds and handling, perhaps because Porsche themselves had input. Awesome. I still prefer to play PU than any other. The Underground series drove me nuts, because it uses "rice culture" as a basis for a car racing game. "Rice rockets" and their pilots I despise, because they are the exact opposite of us real enthusiasts in every way. I don't think anyone would argue that Porsche and BMW M are enthusiast, driver-oriented brands. Do YOU see them with all the over-the-top cheezy ground effects, annoying exhausts, nasty lights, bigger-than-F1 spoilers and all that junk on a 911 Turbo or the new M5? On top of it, I wasn't much impressed with the way the Underground games played. Now we have this new Most Wanted edition, which is a successor (though not really) to the Underground series. Same shit, different ... no, wait ... its the same toilet too. Read my review of the PC version and you'll know the main reasons why I don't like it. So why review this PSP version then? The PSP version is significantly different than the PC version, thats why. The biggest gripe I have with the PC version is gameplay, and thats precisely whats better about the PSP version. Its still not quite realistic enough to win me over like TOCA 2, but its a lot more fun to play than the PC version. I'm actually moving up the blacklist in this version, while the PC version sits uninstalled.

The graphics aren't the best I've seen on the PSP, but they're not bad. For some reason, everything has this brownish atmosphere to it, which is annoying to me. Its in the PC version too, and I think its in an effort to create some kind of film-like atmosphere, failing like a nerd at being cool. The cars are pretty well done, and the functioning rearview mirror is a nice touch. I like the barriers the police set up. They look realistic and appear at about the same time they would in real life. Roads are way better done on the PC version, with the reflections and all. NFS for PSP doesn't seem to have night/day or rain/sunshine like the PC version, so there's a bit less eye candy. Still, the 3D is incredibly smooth, close to 60 frames per second, and much more so than the PC version. I don't know how much you'd have to spend to get NFS to run smoothly on your PC, but I'd bet it would cost quite a few PSPs.

The sound is pretty impressive, crappy engine sounds notwithstanding. The siren of the police will really capture your attention, and even the doppler effect is well done. The screeching of the tires as they approach their limits is pretty good. You can even distinguish between drifting screeches and tire-hop screeches on take off.

The gameplay in NFS is what saves the game. Using the d-pad, handling is quite responsive, but not so much with the analog stick. Its too sensitive. Overall its pretty fun to rip around obstacles and have "near-misses" with oncoming traffic. There's a nifty feature where it goes into a matrix-mode and time slows down. In this state where the driver's senses are supposedly heightened, you can make your car brake and manouver around obstacles at 200 km/h as if it were at 20 km/h. Not realistic, but fun nonetheless. So far, the game seems pretty easy to beat, and the FMV cutscenes aren't bad. Much more entertaining than the PC version and most other NFS installments.

The Bottom Line: If I were you, I'd download it rather than buy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home