Sunday, January 22, 2006

Review: Logitech MX1000 Cordless Laser Mouse


My old cordless optical mouse, the MX700 was working fine after two years of abuse until it started seeing single-clicks as double-clicks. This, as you can imagine, was annoying. I opened that thing up and cleaned it, but that didn't do jack. Now I know that the MX700 had withstood years of abuse and neglect, being dropped daily an average of 2.6 times, but I couldn't for the life of me see what would make that tiny little sensor under the button register one click as two. Well, I gave up trying and decided to spring for a new mouse. I was thinking I'd try to keep costs down, but once you've gone cordless, you don't really wanna go back, especially when the cordless one you've had makes recharging as easy as dropping the mouse in its cradle. Looking around, I basically saw two choices - Microsoft and Logitech. Generally, Logitech has served me well, but right away the MS mice were disqualified because they didn't include built-in chargers. You have to physically remove the batteries, charge them, and then put them back. For this, I'd need to buy (expensive) rechargeable batteries + a charger. I don't think thats happening, and I don't think I'm gonna be buying AAs on a daily basis either. So I looked at what Logitech had to offer, and it came down to the MX1000 or the G7. Even though the G7 had a better sensor, I didn't need the additional DPI because I'm a very casual gamer, if a gamer at all. It also looked EXACTLY the same as the MX700, something which I wanted a change from. The MX1000 is bigger and wider, and just generally looks better. Therefore, I chose the MX1000. It has much better precision and battery life than the MX700, and looks and feels better. Pricewise, in Malaysia this thing costs way too much, much more than in Canada. Because of this reason alone, I give it a 9/10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home